Gas Safety Week: Take care, be Gas Safe
EMPO is proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week taking place 10th -16th September 2012.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
As a landlord you must keep gas appliances supplied to your tenants to use in good condition. You are required to arrange a gas safety check every 12 months and provide your tenants with a record of the check. Follow these top tips to help keep your tenants gas safe:
• make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put life’s at risk
• always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card
• make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
• Be aware and make your tenants aware of the warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working correctly e.g lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
• Be aware and make your tenants aware of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
• install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
• Make sure your tenants are aware of the gas emergency number 0800 111 999 and the need to call the number if they smell gas.
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.